Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Top 10 pre gig list

Over the years I've done gigs in so many places and so many different situations. I've learned some things
along the way sometimes the hard way so here is my top 10 pre gig list. Here are some important things I try to make sure I have prepared in advance before a gig. By the way it's a random order not prioritized by numbers.

Even if your not an artist you may still appreciate this list

1. Mailing List
Have a system by which people can join your mailing list. Collect emails, cell phone # (for txt messaging future band news), Mailing List sheet, Mailing List Cards or even a laptop where people input their data. This is so important because it's important to stay in touch with the fans.

2. Credit Card Swiper
At my gigs some fans don't really carry much cash on them but most of them have a credit card on them. So having a credit card swiper provides a way for them not only to get one of my CD's but maybe 2 or 3 or even 4 CD's along with a BNB T-Shirt or two or event a BNB Bandana. And they walk away with a shopping bag full of BNB Goodies.

3. $30 in change
Yes believe or not you can loose a sale because people may only have a $20 bill and they want to buy a $10 CD but since you have no change you loose the sale. Oh well!

4. Tracks on CD & iPOD
Rather than burning a new CD playlist for each performance why not have your playlist on your iPOD ready for the sound man to press play. This works sometimes even from stage where you can operate the iPOD I've done it so many times.

5. Bring a SM58
It may sound crazy but yeah I've been to place to perform where their mic was so crapy that it interfered with my performance so many times I would plug in my own SM58 mic which is the music industries standard mic for live concerts. These mics can take a serious beaten and they continue to work faithfully.

6. Bring a Camera
One thing I love doing at my gigs is taking pics and even having it filmed on video. I feel that it's a great moment in history to capture and share with thousands of people for years to come. It's something that I love to document and let everyone who missed it see it on youtube or DVD.

7. T-Shirts
Yeah I know it's about the music but some people who already have your CD may not have your T-Shirt and if they have your T-Shirt well they just may want a new one or a different color or size or style. Sometimes I would sell just as many T-Shirts as I would sell CD's. People love the BNB T-Shirts because they can't get them no where else and they are HOT!

8. Announce Event Online
Make sure everyone knows where your gig is at

9. Pray
It may be one of the last things on my list but it's sure not the least one. It's actually the #1 thing to do.

10. Give Away a CD or T-Shirt
At most of my gigs I give away T-Shirts and CD's. I usually ask a question and whoever answers in the audience 1st wins.

Well that's my list although there are more things I just kept it to 10 for now I may give the next 10 things to do in the future.
See Ya!

No comments: